Are you stuck in a cleaning rut? Do you find that you are spending countless hours on the weekend trying to catch up? This stress-free weekly cleaning routine may be just what you need to get your home back in order.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.
A few years ago, I was having a hard time figuring out the best way of keeping my house clean.
I was overwhelmed and didn’t know where to begin. I felt like I couldn’t keep up with everything that needed to be done.
Honestly, I didn’t have the motivation. I needed help. I needed a routine.
So, like most people I scoured the internet searching for a solution to my problem. I found a lot of cleaning routine suggestions and I tried a few but unfortunately, they didn’t work for me.
I would start strong but quickly lose momentum.
Then, I got back into the habit of letting it pile up only to spend a whole day cleaning the house from top to bottom on the weekends. It was exhausting!
Finally, I decided to sit down and really think about what would work for our home. I came up with a weekly cleaning routine that I have been able to stick to for the last 3 years.
I have decided to share it, hoping it will inspire you to give it a try and see if it will work for you too.
To sum it all up, each day of the week is designated for a room in my house. I have decided that focusing on one room at a time works best for me.
Personally, I like to walk away from each room knowing it’s done for the week.
- 14 Daily Habits to Keep Your House Clean
- Free Cleaning Checklists: Daily, Weekly, and Monthly
- Easy Monthly Cleaning Schedule
- 90 Places People Forget to Clean in Their Homes
Weekly Cleaning Routine
Monday is a bedroom day for me. My boys are responsible for keeping their room picked up throughout the week. But, on Mondays I like to:
- A quick dusting with a microfiber cloth
- Wash and Change Sheets
- Wipe down all countertops with an all-purpose cleaner
- Clean the inside of the medicine cabinet including the toothbrush holder
- Scrub toilet
- Clean the shower/bath
- Wipe mirrors
- Quick dusting
- Sweep/ Mop Floors
You May Like: How to Clean Your Bathroom in 5 Minutes
Wednesday- Kitchen/ Dining
- Wipe all counters and small appliances that are on my countertops
- Clean the refrigerator
- Wipe the light switches and doorknobs
- Clean microwave inside and out
- Quick dusting
- Sweep/ mop floors
Thursday- Living room
- Vacuum the carpet
- Quick dusting
- Wipe down TV remote controls and light switches
Thursday is also the day that I designate doing laundry. I prefer to get it done in one day. But, I realize that it may not work for some.
If this is the case then you can always throw a load of laundry in during your morning routine. You can read more about my morning routine HERE.
Have pets and want a better way to keep your home clean?
Friday is whatever you didn’t have time for during the week.
- I also run errands
- Pay bills
- Work on monthly cleaning tasks or de-cluttering projects
- 30 Day Home Decluttering Challenge
- How to Declutter When You Are Overwhelmed
- 10 Things in Your Home to Declutter in 10 Minutes
- 30 Best Things to Declutter From Your Kitchen Right Now
- 106 Easy Things to Declutter in Your Home Today
- 16 Decluttering Mistakes to Avoid
In our home, the weekends are for spending time as a family. So, besides my morning routine and nightly routine. (you can learn more about my nightly cleaning routine HERE.) I try not to do any additional cleaning on the weekends.
That’s it. I hope my routine motivates you to start cleaning. Don’t forget to print out my Weekly Cleaning Routine Printable below.
- How to Speed Clean Your Home in 30 Minutes or Less
- Quick Power Hour Cleaning Tips
- The Ultimate Guide to Spring Cleaning
- Fall Deep Cleaning Checklist
- Speed Clean for the Holidays
Do you love printables? You can sign up for my Free Resource Library. You will find planner, cleaning schedules, wall quote printables, and more. All free to print out and enjoy.
Don’t forget to check out my Pinterest boards for more cleaning motivation.